This is by no means a complete
list of U.S. Army Special Forces reference materials. I'll
continue to add to the list as I check out the materials. Please
feel free to submit your recommendations.
Department of the Army
- Doctrine for Special Forces
Operations, FM 31-20, Department of the Army, April 1990.
- Doctrine for Army Special
Operations Forces, FM 100-25, Department of the Army, April
- Special Forces Operational
Techniques, FM 31-20, Department of the Army, 1965.
- Special Forces Air Operations,
TC 31-24, Department of the Army, September 1988.
- Special Forces Waterborne
Operations, TC 31-25, Department of the Army, October 1988.
- Special Operations Forces
Intelligence and Electronic Warfare Operations, FM 34-36,
Department of the Army, July 1990.
- To Free from Opression: A
Concise History of U.S. Army Special Forces, Civil Affairs,
Psycholoqical Operations and the John F. Kennedy Special
Warfare Center and School, Stanley Sandler, USASOC
Historical Monograph Series, 1994.
- U.S. Army Operational Concept
for Special Operations Forces, TRADOC PAM 525-34, Department
of the Army, July 1984.
- U.S. Army Special Forces
Medical Handbook, ST 31-91B, Volumes 1 and 2, U.S. Army
Institute for Military Assistance, 1982.
- Vietnam Studies: U.S. Army
Special Forces, 1961-1971. Col. Francis J. Kelly, Department
of the Army, 1973.
- The Company They Keep: Life
Inside the U.S. Army Special Forces. Anna Simmons, The Free
Press (Simon & Schuster), 1997.
- Commando: Winning the Green
Beret. Hugh McManners, BBC Publications, October 1995.
- Unconventional Warfare:
Rebuilding U.S. Special Operations Forces (The Rediscovering
Government Series). Susan L. Marquis, Brookings Institute,
- Delta: America's Elite
Counterterrorist Force (The Power Series). Terry Griswold,
D.M. Giangreco, Motorbooks, September 1992.
- Concise History of U.S. Army
Special Operations Forces, Vol. 1. Geoffrey T. Barker,
Anglo-American Publishing, 1993.
- Five Years to Freedom. James
N. Rowe, New York, Ballantine, 1981.
- Green Berets at War: U.S. Army
Special Forces in Southeast Asia, 1956-1975. Shelby L.
Stanton, Presidio Press, 1985.
- Green Berets: Unconventional
Warriors. Hans Halberstadt, Presidio Press, California,
- Inside the Green Berets: The
First Thirty Years. Charles M. Simpson, III, USA, Ret.,
Presidio Press, 1983.
- From OSS to Green Berets: The
Birth of Special Forces. Aaron Bank, Col., USA, Ret.,
Presidio Press, 1986.
- The Commandos. Douglas C.
Waller, Simon & Schuster, 1994.
- Outpost of Freedom, Roger H.
C. Donlon, New York: McGraw Hill, 1965.
- U.S. Army Special Warfare: Its
Origins. Alfred H. Paddock, National Defense University,
- U.S. Army Special Forces
1952-1984. Gordon L. Rottman, Osprey Elite Series, Osprey
Publishing, Ltd., London, 1985.
- The New Face of War: Commando
Operations. Time-Life Books, Alexandria, Virginia, 1991.
- A Murder In Wartime: The
Untold Spy Story that Changed the Course of the Vietnam War.
Jeff Stein, St. Martin's Press, NY, 1992.
- Secret Warriors: Inside the
Covert Military Operations of the Reagan Era. Stephen
Emerson, G.P. Putnam Sons, NY, 1988.
- Code Name: Copperhead: My
True-Life Exploits as a Special Forces Soldier. SGM Joe R.
Garner with Avrum M. Fine, Simon & Schuster, NY, 1994.
- Uneasy Warriors - Coming Back
Home: The Perilous Journey of the Green Berets. Vincent
Coppola, Longstreet Press, Atlanta, GA., 1995.
- The Raid. Benjamin F. Schemmer,
Avon Books, 1976.
- War Story. Jim Morris
- Mike Force. LTC "Bucky"
- War Stories of the Green
Berets: The Vietnam Experience. Hans Halberstadt, Motorbooks
International Publishers & Wholesalers, Osceola, WI,
- The Green Berets. Robin Moore,
- Crossfire. J.C. Pollock, Dell
- Mission M.I.A. J.C. Pollock,
Dell Publishing, 1985.
- Clear and Present Danger. Tom
- Executive Decision. 1996
- Dumbo Drop. 1995 (Danny
- Clear and Present Danger. 1994
- The Green Berets. 1967, (John
- The Deer Hunter. (Robert
- PLEASE READ
|This page is an
unofficial document and does not represent information
endorsed by the United States Government, the United
States Special Operations Command or the United States
Army Special Operations Command. However, most
information is derived from those sources and has been
checked for accuracy. For comments, questions, and
suggestions, please go to the Communications
Gunnery Network - SOF